If you’re currently using DomuS3D 2022, this article will walk you through some of the most exciting new features and updates available in the latest version of DomuS3D 2023.
Updating and Installing
If you have already received the link for the update to version 2023, you’ll find instructions for the installation procedure at this link and hardware requirements at this link, otherwise, if you need further assistance, you may contact us by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Layout, Floor Plan, and Designing- "Set Origin" Command: From the context menu that appears when right clicking in the layout window, you can now move a DWG or a room by specifying its alignment with the origin. Learn more about how to use DWG floorplans.
When dragging an image from the Components window into the floorplan, you’ll be asked to specify the coordinates for its position. Did you know you can trace a floorplan from a JPG or PNG image? Check out this video to see how!
- Cartesian Axes: The Cartesian axis system is drawn in the layout window to show the point of origin. The origin can be hidden from view in the program options: Options -> Layout -> “Show Cartesian Axes”.
- Extended "Shape Wall" command to now work on both sides of a wall: “Left Indent" and "Right Indent" (where "right" and "left" directions refer to the user who is looking at the wall from within the room) with the possibility to switch the side of the wall while the command is active by right clicking and selecting "Switch Side". Read the full article here!
Properties Window: Freeze WallsIn the Properties Window it is now possible to freeze the walls of a room to avoid accidental movement and/or undesired repositioning of walls while designing. Left click on the wall that you are interested in freezing and check the “freeze walls” box in the properties window. When selected, commands related to modifying walls are hidden and/or disabled.
- If you don't know what the properties window is or you're not sure how to activate it, see this article!
Keyboard ShortcutsThere is a new keyboard shortcut: -> "Repeat last command"
In the Layout Window, this shortcut lets you quickly repeat the last command used.
For example, let’s imagine we have to insert multiple windows or an element with specific properties; with this command, we can carry out the “duplicate” command a single time and then use the “R” key to repeat multiple times.
See this article to see all available keyboard shortcuts!
NB: This shortcut doesn't execute the Undo/Redo commands
In the context menu, when right clicking on a furnishing element, it is possible to select the “Automatic Dimensions” command to activate and view the dimensions of the object.
These dimensions will have the default properties (color, size, font,…) set by the program; users can personalize these properties through the options window of the program.
NB. This command is only available for furnishing items that are stored in the database.
Navigation Window: New Automatisms- The key now works in navigation with furnishings (DomuS3D library or external), configurable furniture, and niches. The behavior is the same as in the Layout window. See this article to learn more about the "H" key.
- Interactive Product Preview and Details: when clicking on a furnishing item, door/window, or tile used in the project (from either the layout window or the navigation window), we'll see a preview appear in the lower left corner of the Properties Window. If we click on one of the icons avialable in this section , we can open a zoomed view of the product or open the webpage of the manufacturer and/or its technical specifications.
NB: For this feature to work, the item has to be stored in the database with its specific reference link.
Wall Tiling: Strip HeightFor the "Apply the pattern horizontally" command in the "Coverings" section of the Components Window, it is now to set a numeric value for the height of the strip as an alternative to the Number of Rows when dragging and dropping a tile. See this video to learn more!
Wall Tiling: Multi-Wall 2DFrom the 2D window, it is now possible to view multiple walls at the same time.
By default, the program will always open three walls: the selected wall and its two adjacent walls. A yellow band will always be visible in the upper part of the window to indicate which wall is active (meaning the wall where it will be possible to make changes and other actions..) and the arrows present will allow you to activate the walls on the sides. From the Properties Window there, are controls to set both the color of the contour lines and the number of walls to display.
Wall Tiling: Extend Wall TilingWhen right clicking on any wall in the navigation window, you can now select the “Extend Wall Tiling” command. After selecting this command, use the mouse to click on the coplanar walls on which you want to extend the tiling. Tiling will be extended with continuity for grout and tile texture. (The behavior is the same as the “Extend floor tiling” command). See it in action in this video!
Furniture: Delete Single BlocksNew command that allows users to select and delete single blocks of furniture in the Navigation window. This feature works with both furniture present in the DomuS3D database, as well as that imported into the project. Right click on the piece of furniture -> “Delete” -> “Blocks Selection” -> a window will open where it is possible to view all the “blocks”, selecting the “nodes” that make up the parts of the item. At this point, it is necessary to select the specific parts of the item that you want to delete and confirm by clicking on the “Delete” button.
This feature is a fundamental part of advanced and professional design, allowing users to import complex furnishing elements that are made up of more than one part or of groups of articles. See this video for more information!
Materials: Texture MappingThis command allows you to modify the texture mapping of the surfaces of 3D elements. It can be used on furnishing elements present in the database and on imported furnishing elements. From the Navigation window -> Right click on the element for which you want to modify the mapping -> “Texture Mapping”. A window will open where it is possible to view all the available “blocks”, selecting the specific “nodes” that make up the parts of the item. Select the nodes that correspond to the parts that we want to modify.
In the top left, we can select the map in order to adapt it and distribute it across the active surface, perfecting it by using the OFFSET and SCALE cursors. See this video for more information!
Self-Illuminating Materials: UpdatesWhen you want to create an overexposed light point on an object that should emit or reflect bright light, you can use the self-illuminating material.
From the 2023 version of DomuS3D, it is possible to create self-illuminating material by using two methods. Mode: MRDFLight (present in the previous version, as well) and the new LightMesh. This parameter allows you to create a higher performing self-illumination that is compatible with GPU. It is a VRayLight, meaning it is a real light with its own physical parameters; its brightness is controlled in lumen (lm).
It is also possible to assign it to a light group in order to regulate it in post-production.
Rendering: Clipping PlaneThis function makes it possible to position a camera outside of a room and automatically hide all the parts of the scene that are positioned between the viewpoint and the clipping plane: everything that intersects the clipping plane or remains beyond this plane will remain visible. Learn more in the article.
Rendering: Wireframe Command (Toon)In DomuS3D it is possible to create conceptual renderings using white render or clay render, which we have seen in previous articles, now with the addition of the “Toon” parameter.
Once we’ve selected our viewpoint from the navigation window, select “START RENDERING” -> open the advanced parameters -> select the TOON checkbox. With the Line Width parameter, it is possible to set the width of the contour lines of the objects. Check out this video for more information!
Rendering: Procedural Clouds
With the introduction of V-Ray 6, it is possible to insert procedural clouds for renderings that use the sun as their light source and not HDR backgrounds. Procedural clouds allow you to reproduce the effect of a cloudy sky and to choose the quantity and density of the clouds, choosing how cloudy to make the sky and thus allowing for more precise management in the overexposure of backgrounds. Check out this new feature in this video!
NB. Clouds are not visible in navigation but only in rendering.
Learn more here about the parameters that allow you to create and manage this new feature!
Rendering: New V-Ray Sky
In DomuS3D, it is possible to choose between different sky models, among which the new PRG Clear Sky, which improves the atmosphere in sunrise/sunset situations.
To select the sky model most suited for your scene, you can choose from among the available models under Sky Model in the natural light properties window.
In the following article, you can learn more about managing the various solutions for sky and natural light.
Post-production: EXR Light Management Updates
One of the most important post-production modules is the possibility to be able to adjust the EXR light settings after having completed the rendering process.
Based on the parameters used for natural light, background (spherical or HDR) and artificial lights, we will obtain different combinations of EXR lights, which have been reorganized in the 2023 version and separated differently to create better physical and functional management. Click here for more information.
In addition, the window that contains the light groups will be automatically divided into multiple pages when the number of lights in the project is greater than ten.
System and Database: Various Fixes
- .SKP file import has been extended through Sketchup 2023 models.
- Individual texture import for each externally imported 3DS object: avoids overlapping of textures if they have the same name even if applied to different objects.
- In the components window, a new field has been added for tiles: Destination (Interior, Exterior, Interior/Exterior).
- Scale factor on 4K screens in the light levels management window.
- Ability to create V-Ray only materials.
- Continuous updating and evolution of the modular furniture features. For example, price lists are now being added.
- - Ability to customize the color of objects in locked layers. Available in program options -> Layout -> Layer Color (locked).
Known Issues and Limitations
- The 2D Wall window has been completely restructured with the goal (achieved) of being able to view multiple walls and the next goal (for version 2024) to be able to work on multiple walls at the same time. Due to this major restructuring, it is expected that we will have to deal with small anomalies tied to this feature that have not yet been fixed.
- Objects created from the 2D wall window have defects: we recommend creating objects from the Layout window and, if necessary, using the "Move, Rotate, Copy 3D" commands from the Navigation window. Learn more here
- Doors and Windows in the navigation window don't open -> check that you the flag "Interactive Elements" is active from the Options of DomuS3D.
This article is valid for the 2023 version