Client-Server (also called CS) version is different than Standalone in database and files storage management:
In CS you have a centralized Sql Server database installed on the Server machine.
On the server all users will automatically store projects, panels and catalogues. Moreover, they will be able to connect to the Client-Application from wherever PC within the Company.
System administrator can centralize and optimize backup operations.
Even for multiple designers (Clients) protection key for a CS is unique for all of them; generically located on the Server, you can also place it on another (physical) PC, that has to be always switched on. We encourage you doing that in case you want to install the Server on a Virtual Machine. Protection key, in fact, cannot be installed on a Virtual Machine. You can also order a software key, instead of a USB key, but software keys cannot be installed on Virtual Machines.
Server is the workstation where you will install the “server” Application. On Server you can find:
- Application database (MicrosoftTM Sql Server, ODBC compliant)
- All data and files related to projects, tiles, panels, 3d objects and elements, materials, etc.
- USB protection key (optionally located also on any other PC in LAN, to be always switched on)
- All services who run the Server and Clients negotiations
Server has to comply with following requirements:
- has to always be switched on and accessible in LAN/VPN by all Clients computers
- Server does not have to be a powerful computer, as it is meant just to collect and serve projects, catalogues and data to all Clients. We recommend a quick hard-disk so that access to stored data will not delay operations.
- We suggest to install MicrosoftTM Windows Server Operating System
Client is the Application installed on a computer of the network (LAN, Intranet, VPN) where the designer can draw and render 3D projects. Configured on a MicrosoftTM WindowsTM 8.1, 8, 7 or Vista operating system (ref. Hardware and Software requirements paragraph), designer can connect to the Server repository where to load or save projects, provided that he has been given a username and password to login.
Last but not least, some information about the network: a Client-Server installation can work on a local network (LAN: Local Area Network), where usually speed can be in between 10 Mbps and 100 Mbps, but also on wider networks, usually called VPN, based on Internet connection between PoS: in this case CS can link several Showrooms located in different geographic areas (VPN Virtual Private Network). VPN networks have to grant Client PC’s to reach the Server PC, and to share each other the folders used for the data files, as if they are in a LAN. Dedicated band-width for DomuS3D® has to be at least 2 Mbps; differently the designers could face a pretty long waiting time in order to load and save projects, and to collect tiles and 3D objects from the available catalogues.
This article is valid for DomuS3D® 2017 and later versions